A former Battle Scouts leader and Hastings councillor faces more allegations of child sex offences after a 19-month investigation.
It was revealed in June, 2015, Matthew Lock was on bail after being arrested on suspicion of grooming and inciting a 15-year-old boy to engage in online sexual activity.
Police have now said the 38-year-old faces further allegations of possessing and distributing indecent images of the boy plus grooming and inciting online sexual activity with another teenage boy.
Lock has been rebailed until August 14, while the Crown Prosecution Service continue to consider a police report submitted in February. No charges have been made.
The former 1st Battle Scouts leader was suspended by the Scout Association ‘as soon as it was made aware’ of the arrest in November, 2014.
Sussex Police told the Observer none of the allegations relate to children at the Scouts, the allegations relate to online activity.
A Scout Association spokesman said in June, 2015: “We can confirm that Lock was a volunteer in Sussex until he was suspended.
“The Scout Association carries out stringent vetting of all adults who work with young people and requires them to work to strict guidelines outlined in the Young People First Code of Good Practice.
“As this investigation is ongoing, it would not be appropriate for the Scout Association to offer further comment at this time.”
The former St Helens ward representative resigned from Hastings Borough Council (HBC) on May 19, 2015, citing ‘personal problems’ and ‘ill health’.
But the ex-Conservative group leader had been on police bail for seven months after being arrested on November 24, 2014.
HBC spokesman Kevin Boorman said last year: “We were made aware late last year that former councillor Matthew J Lock had been questioned by the police in connection with these alleged offences but no charges had been made at that time.
“Indeed, no charges had been made up to the time he resigned as a councillor.
“We cannot make any further comment as to what action we took in connection with an individual case, but every case is judged on its merits, and action is taken as considered appropriate in relation to its particular circumstances.”
In a statement issued following his resignation in May last year, Lock said: “Members will be aware that over the last six months I have had some personal problems.
“These have yet to be resolved and have made it very difficult for me to meet my commitment to effectively represent my constituents as well as the wider duties of being a councillor.
“Regretfully, I have concluded that it is necessary to stand down from my role as councillor for St Helens ward.
“I would like to thank everyone for their kind words of support and look forward to being of active service for our community in the future.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.