Man treated for smoke inhalation after roof fire in Hastings

Ian Gillam sent in this picture of fire crews in Hastings Old Town
Ian Gillam sent in this picture of fire crews in Hastings Old Town

A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the roof space of a three-storey building in Hastings yesterday (Sunday, May 10).

Firefighters were called to the property, in Harold Road, Hastings Old Town, at around 4.40pm on Sunday following reports of a person understood to be inside the burning building.

Four appliances from Hastings and Bexhill, including the Aerial Ladder Platform, were mobilised and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to tackle the flames.

The man was treated at the scene after breathing in smoke. Everyone else was accounted for.

The property was made up of three floors and the accidental fire was located in the roof space, which left the area smoke-logged.

The day before, at around 11.20am on Saturday, May 9, one crew from The Ridge Community Fire Station attended a site in Ore Valley Road after a shed was accidentally set ablaze.

Firefighting foam was used to put out the flames.