Man taken to hospital after kitchen fire

A MAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a grill pan caught fire in a flat in St Leonards.

The fire started in the kitchen of a ground floor flat in London Road around 6pm yesterday evening (Thursday, December 6).

When firefighters arrived, the occupants had already left the building. The residents of two upstairs flats were also evacuated.

A 22-year-old occupant of the flat was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and taken to the Conquest Hospital for checks.

There was light smoke damage, and smoke alarms were fitted by fire crews after the incident.

Watch commander George Wippich of Red Watch at Bohemia Road fire station, said: “We would like to remind people not to leave cooking unattended.

“It is extremely important that smoke alarms are fitted and tested regularly.”