A St Leonards man was rescued from his flat after a kitchen fire in the early hours of this morning (Friday, November 20).
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called at around midnight to reports of the smell of smoke at a property on Eversfield Place.
Firefighters from The Ridge and Bohemia Road stations found a fire in the kitchen on the third floor of the building, caused by a pan being left on a hob.
Crews used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel and CO2 to extinguish the blaze.
One man was rescued from the flat and led to safety suffering from smoke inhalation.
He was left in the care of the ambulance service.
The fire service issued a safety reminder following the kitchen fire.
Its said: “Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention, or they leave things unattended.
“There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen.
“Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking.
“Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call.
“Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily.
“And don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs – you may get drowsy or lose concentration.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.