DCSIMG

BREAKING NEWS: Father pleads guilty to baby daughter’s manslaughter

editorial image

editorial image

A FATHER has today pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his five-week-old-baby daughter.

Mark Sandland, 28, of Cambridge Road, admitted manslaughter by reason of lack of intent at a hearing at Southwark Crown Court this afternoon.

Sandland was originally charged with murdering Aimee-Rose Sandland at an address in St Leonards on November 9, 2012, following an incident on November 5.

He claimed he suffered an epileptic seizure when his baby daughter was fatally injured.

Aimee-Rose died at Kings College Hospital, London on November 9, 2012. She was born on 27 September 2012.

Sandland was arrested in October last year and placed on remand.

Prosecutor counsel Sally Howes QC confirmed that his plea to manslaughter was accepted.

She told the court: “It is following lengthy discussions with both the Crown Prosecution Service and the police and relevant members of the family have been consulted as would be proper in such a case.”

Sandland is due to be sentenced next week, and will next appear at Lewes Crown Court on Monday.

Wearing a grey suit, white shirt and glasses, he had the murder charge put to him for a second time, having previously denied the offence at a hearing at the Old Bailey.

Answering the clerk, he said: “Not guilty, but guilty to manslaughter by reason of lack of intent.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page