Lightning bolt blows foot-wide hole in roof

A FAMILY had a fright when a bolt of lightning blew a foot-wide hole in the roof of their home.

The Latvian family made up of a man and woman in their 50s, a man and woman in their 20s, were living in the top floor of a block of flats in Stockleigh Road, St Leonards when lightning ripped into their roof at 2.45pm on Sunday.

One of the women was in the kitchen at the time and was frightened when water started pouring in through the roof above.

Firefighters were called to the scene and made the property safe before calling out the landlords and fitting a smoke alarm.

Watch commander Keith Morris, of the Ridge Fire Station, said: “It would have been quite frightening experience as the hole was about a foot wide.

“The family did not speak any English so it made communication quite difficult.

“Sometimes lightning strikes can cause fires but thankfully this one didn’t.

“It caused quite a bit of disruption as water was going into the kitchen.

“But thankfully there was no major damage caused to the building.”