Couple taken to hospital after pan fire sets off alarm

0
Have your say

A COUPLE were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a pan of food was left burning on a cooker at their home.

Firefighters were called to the semi-detached house in Quebec Road in Hollington at 11.20pm on Wednesday after a smoke detector triggered an automatic alarm system.

Two engines from The Ridge fire station and one from Bohemia Road attended.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and found a 51-year-old man in the kitchen and a 58-year-old disabled woman asleep in her ground-floor bedroom. They led both to safety and extinguished the pan. The couple were given oxygen treatment before being taken by ambulance to the Conquest Hospital. Their condition was not thought to be serious. Firefighters spent an hour at the property, which sustained smoke damage to the kitchen. Red watch manager Keith Morris said: “Thankfully the building had an automatic smoke detector and alarm. Otherwise the incident could have had very serious consequences.”