Calls to make A21 safer after Sedlescombe crash where St Leonards man died

The stretch of road in Kent Street where the collision occurred. SUS-160815-122118001
The stretch of road in Kent Street where the collision occurred. SUS-160815-122118001

There have been renewed calls for improvements to be made to the A21 to make it safer following an accident in which a man died on Friday (August 12).

Michael Smith, who lives in Hastings, is in the process of setting up an online petition urging the Government to take action.

A 37-year-old man from St Leonards died after his silver Ford Fiesta, travelling southbound towards Hastings, came into collision with a Volvo Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV), being driven northbound by a 39-year-old man from Battle, just before 3.30pm on Friday on the A21 at Kent Street, Sedlescombe.

The road remained closed at the junctions of Moat Lane and Blackbrooks Garden Centre for five hours while officers from the Roads Policing Unit examined the scene and the vehicles were recovered.

Mr Smith said: “Improvements to the A21 are long overdue. Everyone I’ve spoken to also wants to see improvements to the stretch of road in Kent Street. The road is ridiculously dangerous. I drive along there every day and more than 40 people I’ve spoken to want to sign the petition when it’s ready.

“There have been several fatalities this year already.”

Last month, Bexhill and Battle’s MP, Huw Merriman voiced his support for a proposal to introduce average speed cameras along the A21 in a bid to improve safety.

He said he believed the measure was necessary to tackle the amount of crashes and slow down drivers.

Mr Merriman said at the time: “I am pleased that for the interim, Highways England is currently in the design stage of a proposal to introduce average speed cameras between Lamberhurst and Baldslow, just north of Hastings.”

On June 20, two men ended up in hospital after a crash in Whatlington on June 20.

The latest fatality on the A21 was Pamela Gargaro, 73, who died in a head-on collision in Kent Street on June 1.

Witnesses to Friday’s incident are asked to contact collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting Operation Aston.

To sign Mr Smith’s petition click here.

BREAKING: Man dies in A21 crash.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.