Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Rise and fall of St Leonards Bathing Pool.

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro takes a look at the early days of The Bathing Pool.

News 2
BB SUS-170905-080758001

Crossroads forms gateway to the park

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro takes a look at the cross-roads at the start of Queens Road by the park gates.

News
Arch 3 SUS-170205-115218001

Landmark arch signals expansion of railway line.

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro takes a look at the famous Queens Road Arch and the expansion of the railway.

News
CH 1 SUS-170425-103333001

Clock House withstands the test of time

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro takes a look at Clock House landmark in Queens Road.

News
RB 1 SUS-170418-101210001

New Grammar School was a controversial move

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro looks at the final part of Queens Road to take shape and the building of Hastings Grammar School.

News
CC 3 SUS-171104-063429001

Local firm traded through two World Wars

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro looks at the origins of local builders merchants Crew and Co.

News
A painting of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Cloudesley Shovell in full fig. His mothers house in Hastings is pictured to his right. Intriguingly, an 1824 edition of The Gentlemans Magazine asserts that Shovell himself lived there for a while.

Admiral who took Gibraltar died in shipwreck tragedy

A distinguished admiral who in 1704 helped capture Gibraltar for England counted among his many civic appointments that of Commissioner of the London Sewers. The latter an amusingly apt role for a man whose surname was … Shovell!

Nostalgia
IC 2 SUS-170327-113218001

Celebrating the Age of Empire

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro takes a look at another section of Queens Road, from Stonefield Place to Nelson Road.

News
GW 1 SUS-170321-083059001

Arrival of supermarket signalled major change

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro takes a look at another section of Queens Road which saw drastic changes.

News
SA 8 SUS-170314-092237001

Church was once centre of now vanished parish

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro explores the area of Queens Road which was once called St Andrews.

News
CG 8 SUS-170603-104422001

Town Centre once resounded to leather on willow

This week, in his continuing series, Ion Castro takes a look at the time when a cricket ground dominated the heart of the town centre in Hastings.

News
St Leonards Pier 2 SUS-170221-121649001

Remembering the glory days when St Leonards Pier was big attraction

Gone - and nearly forgotten is the theme of a talk on the long-vanished St Leonards Pier.

News
Swan House 2 SUS-170222-120856001

Brothers make emotional return

Brothers Keith and Rod Funnell made an emotional trip back in time when they visited the Old Town guest house where they grew up more than 60 years ago.

News
LQ 15 SUS-170702-094456001

Exploring the early origins of Queens Road

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro explores the remaining part of what is now Queens Road, taking in the east side of St Andrews Road, between Portland Place and Elford Street.

News
QR 15 SUS-170131-100923001

The heart of Hastings town centre takes shape.

This week, in number 100 of his continuing series, Ion Castro takes a look at how the heart of the town centre evolved.

News
The Railway Bridge 1898: The original caption reads Built to replace the old brick tunnel which was taken down in 1898. The three-horse omnibus to Mount Pleasant Road is seen in the picture The St. Andrews Archway, described by some as a hideous hole stood at the bottom of Queens Road, until it was replaced in 1898 with the present lofty viaduct carrying the railway over the road. The original archway or tunnel was built of bricks made from clay taken from the brick-fields on the site of the present Alexandra Park and some of the ponds in the park were originally clay pits  in those days bricks were usually made from local brick-earth in temporary kilns as close to point of use as possible.

Nostalgia: How a Hastings parish church sprang from farmland

This week, in his continuing series Ion Castro takes a look at the history of the Church and Parish of Christ Church Blacklands in Hastings from 1878 – 1928.

News
SLG 9 SUS-170901-115402001

St Leonards golf course spanned railway line

Ion Castro continues his look at golf courses in the borough - this week focussing on the St Leonards course.

News
GC 8 SUS-170401-101416001

When Hastings boasted two golf courses

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro takes a look at the period when the town had two golf courses.

News
Letters home from the Front in 1914

Letters from the Front on a frosty Christmas morning

The Christmas truce of 1914 has become the stuff of legend.

Nostalgia 1
EP 10 SUS-161212-110042001

Terrace of historic hotels survived war

This week, in his ongoing series, Ion Castro take another look at Eversfield Place and how it survived the war intact.

News
Load more